You and Your Needs Are Important!
Self-care isn’t a new idea but it is one that has been gaining some traction the last few years. It seems that we are all dealing with more stress, anxiety, depression, and low self-esteem. We find difficulty in creating balance between our home and work life, we spend way too much time on social media, we are over-committing and over-extending ourselves more and more every day.
I for one, have been doing a lot of soul searching and trying to create a more mindful way of living and incorporating daily self-care habits. I’m trying to create peace within myself to lay the foundation for a calmer, intentional, and satisfying life. Part of self-care is being able to be alone with yourself and your thoughts. But unfortunately, so many of us feel lonely or insecure when we are by ourselves. But solitude is empowering, builds confidence, and will give you the peace and quiet you need to restore your mind.
What I have learned is that self-care is important to maintain a healthy relationship with yourself. It gives you time to let go of stress and most importantly it stands to remind you and others in your life that you and your needs are important.
For the next 30 days I’d like to challenge myself, and you, to spend a little time each day on self-care and devoting some intentional time alone. My hope is that we see the value in making time for ourselves and it becomes our new norm. I’m sharing some ideas and activities to get you started, but take a moment to create your own list. It’s important to do whatever calms your soul and brings you serenity. It is all about your inner peace and what feeds your mind, body, and soul.
My Top 10 Self-Care Ideas:
- Take a Walk: Walking can have many health benefits. It also reduces stress, improves sleep, and promotes creativity. In addition, it also gives you the time to clear your head, intentionally move your body, and create a sense of peace within you.
- Listen to Music: Listening to music can dramatically help improve one’s mental well-being. It can motivate and inspire us, ease stress, and can reduce depression symptoms.
- Read a Book: Yes, a book not your tablet! Reading a book can relax you, provides mental stimulation, enhances your imagination, and lowers stress levels. It can also improve your memory- bonus!
- Write in a Journal: Journaling can help to reduce anxiety, increase productivity, motivate, inspire, and promote overall mental well-being.
- Take a Bath: A simple bath can help you sleep better, relieve muscle aches, soothe irritated skin, and improve your mood. It is also a great place to enjoy some daily solitude.
- Unplug & Disconnect: Taking time each day to unplug from social media and disconnect from technology is important. It can improve relationships, sleep, emotional well-being, and it gives our brains time to recover and recharge.
- Take a Nap: Naps aren’t just for kids! Taking a daytime nap are that it reduce stress, stamina, motor skills, it boosts creativity and memory, and can enhance your mood.
- Mini Pampering Session: Do a little pampering at home or at the spa/salon. Pampering yourself has many health and well-being benefits. It can reduce stress, soothe your body, and refresh your mind. So go get that manicure, pedicure or just give yourself a home facial!
- Netflix Binge: Binge watching in moderation can actually increase emotional intelligence, help to relieve stress, recharge your state of mind, and it gives you the opportunity to immerse yourself into broader cultural situations.
- Go for a Drive: Let’s bring back the Sunday Drive. It can help to clear your mind, allows you to be more creative, affords you time to listen to an audio book or your favorite playlist. And it’s usually when we come up with our best ideas!
As you begin to practice self-care and living mindfully, your perspective of yourself, others and the world around you starts to change. Life will always be unpredictable, imperfect, and challenging. Learning to be mindful and practice self-care can help to improve our thoughts, actions and reactions to what life throws our way. And let’s face it, none of us will ever be perfect. Embrace who you are and continue to improve your mind, body and soul for a happier, more meaningful life. I am proud to be perfectly imperfect and am slowly learning to put my needs first, I hope you can do the same.
Please feel free to share your self-care and mindfulness habits with us.