I’m so excited for a New Year ~ a New Decade! I’m not one who usually makes New Year Resolutions, when I do I don’t typically share them with anyone – especially on social media for the world to see. I guess I feel like a failure when March rolls around and I’ve already forgotten what my resolutions were! Don’t get me wrong, I love that people start a new year with great intention and with plans to ensure the best year possible. This year I have resolved to set New Year Goals! I’ve taken time to reflect on the last year; reflect on where I am personally, emotionally and professionally; what I’ve learned and how much I’ve grown; and of course I’ve taken a hard look at the development of my side “hustle’ and how far we’ve come.
Even with all of the great things that I’ve experienced it has definitely been one of the hardest years of my life because I lost my biggest fan- my dad. So, I’ve decided this year I’m going to make my dad proud and make it the single best year of my life! To add incentive I turn 50 this year, which is entirely another story!
Along the way I’ve made mental notes on the things I’d like to accomplish or improve on in 2020…..and beyond! So here are my 10 New Year Goals, with no deadline or timeline attached to them.
My New Year Goals for Today & Beyond
- First and foremost I want to strive to be a better person by learning to be more Patient, Understanding, and Forgiving.
- Next I want to Slow Down and live in the moment. I have a lot on my plate so I am always multi-tasking; I need to learn that when I’m able to slow down I take advantage of that time and to be in those moments. Enjoying those moments and not let work or deadlines creep into the mix will be my priority.
- As much as I’d love to say I am going to lose weight this year, I know that I have not been successful in the past. Instead, I am going set a goal to replace one bad habit with one Healthy Habit to make steps toward living a healthier lifestyle. Now if I lose weight along the way……bonus!
- Since I plan to slow down I am going to add Read a Book to my list. I love to read, I don’t mean a digital copy of my favorite magazine; I mean really read a hardcover book that I can hold in my hands.
- Get Organized! I was once the most organized person around- literally! I guess I just got so busy I let that slip away and it is driving me crazy. I’m going to work on organizing my home, my important documents and my business so that I have more time to do the things that matter.
- Be more active. I am adding Take the Stairs to the list. This is an easy way for me to add a little more activity in my day without needing more time.
- Meditate Nightly. There are so many benefits to meditation. I need this in my life to help me reduce stress and to help me sleep. So I’ll try to do this at night before ending my day; even if it’s just disconnecting from social media, TV and my phone for 20 minutes before bed.
- Spend more Time Alone; I am going to make a point to spend time alone to work on my mental, emotional and spiritual health. Spending time with yourself gives you the ability to recharge and strengthen your emotional well-being. It relieves stress/anxiety, and it inspires creativity.
- Stop Hitting Snooze! I am notorious for hitting the snooze button in the morning. I am definitely not a morning person and struggle moving and waking up so I think this goal will be a challenge for me but I’m up for making this a priority and starting my day the first time my alarm goes off. Wish me luck!
- Finally I am going to Listen to My Body. Living with chronic pain I sometimes push myself too far and then I pay for it for days. I will start to make it a priority to listen to my body and give it rest when it requires it.
Whatever resolutions or new year goals that you set for yourself I hope that you have an amazing year and accomplish everything that you set your mind to.