One of the things that makes me the happiest is when someone asks me to create something for them and they aren’t exactly sure what they want or how to put into words what they envision. The moment they see what I’ve created for them and they are excited to see their vision brought to life. Or, when I take a moment or feeling from living life and write a piece of poetry and someone is touched by my words – these are the things that validate the time and energy I put into my creative process.
The internet is full of articles, blog posts and descriptions of the traits and characteristics of a creative person. After reading multiple pieces I came across this list from The Second Principle and in my opinion seems to be most accurate and true for me….
General Characteristics of Creative Individuals:
- Genuinely values intellectual and cognitive matters.
- Values own independence and autonomy.
- Is verbally fluent; can express ideas well.
- Enjoys aesthetic impressions; is aesthetically reactive.
- Is productive; gets things done.
- Is concerned with philosophical problems, for example, religion, values, the meaning of life.
- Has high aspiration level for self.
- Has wide range of interests.
- Thinks and associates ideas in unusual ways; has unconventional thought processes; can make unusual connections to unrelated ideas or things.
- Is an interesting, arresting person.
- Appears straightforward, forthright and candid in dealings with others.
- Behaves in an ethically consistent manner; has consistent personal standards.
While I don’t always create the most beautiful things or write the most earth shattering words my creativity is mine and mine alone. I can go there as often or as little as I like or need. I can use it when I’m happy, sad, excited or emotional- it’s all up to me, there are no rules. There are times that I love to share what I’ve created and then there are those times that I create something just for me.
Take the time to look at the things around you, get inspired and create something – be creative!